1. Make brown-bag lunches for your roommate every morning. Give
them to him/her before he/she goes to class.
2. Every time you enter the room, sit in a chair, lean back too
far, and fall over backwards. Laugh hysterically for about ten
minutes. Then, one day, repeat the falling-over exercise, but
instead of laughing, get up, look at the chair sternly, and say,
“It’s not funny anymore.”
3. Read with a flashlight when the lights are on. Pretend to
read without one when the lights are out, remarking every so
often how great the book is.
4. Get a surfboard. Put it on your bed. Stand on it, and pretend
to surf for about fifteen minutes. Then, pretend to “wipe out,”
and fall off the bed onto the floor. Pretend you are drowning
until your roommate comes over to “rescue” you.
5. Keep a hamster as a pet. Buy a blender, and make milkshakes
every day. Then, one day, get rid of the hamster. Make a shake
using a lot of ketchup. When your roommate comes in, look at the
shake, look at the empty cage, and tell your roommate, “I was
6. Make toast for breakfast every morning, but don’t plug the
toaster in. Eat the plain bread, looking at the toaster angrily,
and complain that the toaster doesn’t know what it’s doing. If
your roommate suggests plugging it in, go on a tangent about
7. Pack up all of your things and tell your roommate that you’re
going away to “find yourself.” Leave, and come back in about ten
minutes. If your roommate asks, explain that you’re not a hard
man to find.
8. Never speak to your roommate directly. If you need to ask or
tell him/her something, go to another room and call him/her on
9. Every night, before you go to bed, beg your roommate for a
glass of water. When he/she brings it, dump it on the floor and
immediately go to sleep. If he/she ever refuses to bring you a
glass of water, lie on the bed and pretend to be dying of
dehydration, making annoying gagging sounds, until he/she does
10. Every time the phone rings, turn on the stereo at full
volume and begin to violently slam-dance with your roommate. If
he/she asks about it, say, “Oh, that damn hypnotist….”
11. Hang a picture of your roommate on the wall. Throw darts at
it. Smile at your roommate often, saying things like, “How nice
to see you again.”
12. Get a can of beans. Label them, “Jumping beans.” Eat them,
and then jump around the room. Get another can of beans. Label
them, “Dancing beans.” Eat them, and then dance around the room.
Get another can of beans. Label them, “Kill Your Roommate
beans.” Eat them, smiling at your roommate.
13. Every time your roommate falls asleep, wait ten minutes, and
then wake him/her up and say, “It’s time to go to bed now.”
14. Insist that your roommate recite the “Pledge Of Allegiance”
with you every morning.
15. Recite “Dr. Seuss” books, all the time. Eventually, think up
melodies for the words and sing them, loudly, directly to your
roommate. If he/she tells you to stop, act offended and spend
the day in bed.
16. Put up traffic signs around the room. If your roommate
doesn’t obey them, give him/her tickets. Confiscate something
your roommate owns until he/she pays the tickets.
17. Walk, talk, and dress like a cowboy at all times. If your
roommate inquires, tell him/her, “Don’t worry little buckaroo.
You’ll be safe with me.”
18. Complain that your elbows, knees, and other joints have been
bothering you. Get a screwdriver, and pretend to “fix” them.
19. Paint abstract paintings, and title them things like,
“Roommate Dying in a Car Crash,” and “Roommate Getting Whacked
in the Head with a Shovel.” Comment often about how much you
love the paintings.
20. Wear glasses, and complain that you can never see anything.
Bump into walls and doors. Put your clothes on backwards. Say,
“Who’s that?” every time your roommate enters the room. When
you’re not wearing the glasses, act like you can see fine.
21. Buy a lava lamp. Stare at it for hours, imitating its
movements with your face. Explain to your roommate that you have
established a connection with the spirit world through the lava
lamp. Tell your roommate that “Grandma said hi.”
22. Keep empty jars on the shelf. Tell your roommate that this
is your collection of “inert gases.” Look at them often. One
day, act surprised and angered, and accuse your roommate of
having released one of the gases. Cover your nose and mouth and
run out of the room.
23. Wear scary Halloween masks. Look in the mirror and scream
hysterically for about five minutes every time you put one on.
24. Roller-skate up and down the hallway. Every time you see
your roommate, crash into him/her and knock him/her down.
Apologize, and say that he/she looked like “the enemy.”
25. Put headphones on your roommate while he/she is sleeping,
and subliminally teach him/her to speak Spanish, play the
trombone, and memorize all the major imports and exports of each
26. Stick your head out the window, but forget to open it, so
that your head crashes through the glass. Then say, “Silly me,”
open the window again, and try to stick your head through. Act
like you hit your head on something.
27. Dress like a military officer. Insist that your roommate
salute you upon sight. If he/she refuses, insist that he/she do
100 push-ups. Keep saying things like, “Your momma isn’t here to
take care of you any more.”
28. Keep a collection of teeth in a jar. Act excited whenever
you add to it, and say things like, “In a little while I’ll have
enough for that sailboat.”
29. Get a pet rabbit. At a designated time every day, take the
rabbit into the bathroom and engage in loud shouting matches. If
your roommate inquires, refuse to discuss the situation.
30. Spread toothpicks all over the floor. Stare at them, acting
like you’re trying to read something. Tell your roommate it’s a
message from God, but you’re not sure whether it’s a warning
about a loved one in danger or a recipe for really great chili.